Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Altitude Cup 2013

Last weekend my Son my Wife and I went to a little town in the mountains called Empire Colorado. The reason that we went there was to check out a Mountainboard competition called The Altitude Cup. This was the sixth year that it had been put on by Altitude Sickness a local board shop in Empire. (see my review of the shop)

When we first arrived I wasn't sure what to think I had never been to a Mountainboard competition due to the fact that we didn't have them in Spokane Washington. The park looked small and kind of scattered and at first I was thinking to myself we drove 2 hours for this! Then people started riding.... MIND BLOWN. Apparently that saying "it isn't the size that matters its how you use it" applies to this park. Once you see people ride it the park makes more sense.

Trying to figure out where the races would be held I looked around and all I saw was a run going down the outside and behind the half pipe at the end of the park. "How exciting can the races be" I thought to myself. Yet again MIND BLOWN. When the racers started I didn't know what to expect then at the first turn they hit a fairly steep little hill and took off. Most of the races were neck to neck and I found myself at the edge of my seat wondering who was going to win. Right before the end there was a nice left turn up a pretty large sidewall, This obstacle seemed to be what got most of the racers. There were some pretty good bails and at one point during practice someone even went off the edge and hit a tree. (they were ok though)

Over all this experience was awesome and the riders totally prove to me "it isn't the size that matters it is how you use it". I would recommend if you have some free time next year to come check out The Altitude Cup in Empire Colorado and if you feel up to is register and compete.

If you would like to check out video and pics from this event go to :
https://www.facebook.com/events/483094005091994/

The results for this years Altitude Cup are:
6th Annual Altitude Cup Mountainboard Challenge results

           Groms

BoarderX 
1st "Flyin" Ryan Enochs
2nd Hanna Combrink

Freestyle 
1st Hanna Combrink
2nd "Flyin" Ryan Enochs
3rd Braden Combrink
4th Gage Sheader

            Youth

BoarderX & Slopestyle
1st Wyatt ParkRat Harper

             Sport

BoarderX
1st Ian Forgette
2nd Wyatt parkrat Harper
3rd Matthew Tornado Spinney

Slopestyle
1st Matthew Tornado Spinney
2nd Jacob T-Bone Ochsner
3rd Ian Forgette
4th Wyatt parkrat Harper

          Women

BoarderX
1st Catherine Rios
2nd Melissa Ponce de Leon
3rd Ari Coats

Slopestyle
1st Ari Coats
2nd Melissa Ponce de Leon
3rd Catherine Rios

         Masters

BoarderX
1st David Kennedy
2nd Phil Sheader
3rd Brian Bishop

Slopestyle 
1st David Kennedy
2nd Phil Sheader
3rd Brandon Fry

            Pro

BoarderX 
1st Kody Stewart
2nd Jason Lee 
3rd Evan Carlson

Slopestyle
1st Devin Garland 
2nd Kody Stewart 
3rd Evan Carlson

No comments:

Post a Comment